Monday, November 7, 2011

Hello Homebuilders!!

It's been waaaaay too long since I've made a post, but I've been following the progress on everyone's new homes!  Congratulations to those of you who have recently closed or signed a contract to begin!

Unfortunately there is not much to report here in Western PA.  The men and their diggers have been working diligently (weather permitting) to complete the storm sewer and drainage system on the land where our future home will be located.  When we began researching in June we were informed that the road would be paved in August and the new model homes would open in November.  Well, it is November and the road has not been paved.  The rain and wet weather have set them behind quite a bit and who knows what other obstacles they've encountered.  They have made visible progress, which is promising, and you can even get a sense of where the homes are situated by the location of the green and orange wooden posts.  Here is a shot from a week or so ago:

We can see the future road!  We'll be the third home on the right!  Since we have a delayed delivery of June 2012, we're not sure whether or not the delay will affect us.  As long as we're in our new home by the end of August, we'll be happy.  Our excitement level has lost some of it's momemtum, but I think once the road is in and the building starts, we'll be back on track.  It's been about a month since we've been to the Oakmont model, so my DH and I are thinking about taking a little drive this weekend to re-ignite our enthusiasm!  I will keep you posted!


  1. Definitely understand what you mean about losing your excitement/momentum on the homefront. Our extended delivery is May 2012 and I'm getting nervous that with all this rain and depending on the winter who knows what could happen. We are kind of in the same boat we have to be in a house by June 30, but (shhh) don't tell RH that. I want my May 15th.. Here's to waiting!

  2. Yeah, same with us! It's hard to stay excited about something that seems so far away. I am preparing myself for the possibility of weather delays and the chance that we might not be closing in April. I'd be okay with May or June. Our lease in New York ends in May but we can always live with relatives for a few weeks until the house is ready should that be the case. I think that is a great idea to revisit the model to spark up some more excitement. John and I are going to visit the Rosecliff model near Pittsburgh when we're there over Thanksgiving, John doesn't want to buy anything new for the house until he sees it again. I

  3. Once they get all the infrastructure in place you should be good to go. As for the winter months and weather slowing things down you should not worry too much about that. You have to hold your breath a little bit during the excavation and foundation stage, but once they start framing they move quickly and get the roof on as fast as possible...once the roof is on the weather can do whatever it wants and it won't impact the me...we had a tropical storm, hurricane, and earthquake and progress on the house never slowed.